Sunday, May 22, 2016

SFX SUNDAY: Severe Frostbite (Gangrene)

I've decided to start a new series.  Every Sunday I'll be posting a special effects makeup look on my instagram (shadowbeautyxx) with an accompanying blog post going over the steps I took to get the look. 
     This is my first look.  It's inspired by a video Powdah posted on his youtube channel.  It's a picture of a finger suffering severe frostbite that has led to gangrene.
This is how I got this look:
1.) Make sure the area  is clean.  Decide where you'd like the gangrene to start.  This is where you'll be applying the modeling wax.  Apply spirit gum to that area.  Tap it to get it tacky.  I used the Jordane Cosmetics Spirit Gum.
2.) Take some modeling wax and form it in to a snake.  Use petroleum jelly on your hands to prevent it from sticking to your hands.  Wrap the snake around your finger where you have applied the spirit gum.  Blend the edge down toward you hand.  The edge facing toward the finger tip, leave it as is so that it's thicker then your finger.  I used the Graftobian Modeling Wax.
3.) Using the Skin Illustrator FX Palette, use Primary Yellow from the finger tip to where the wax starts.  I used a brush because this will be the base color.
4.) From that same palette, use the Green and randomly stipple it over the yellow.  You don't need to cover the whole finger. Just place it in a few places.
5.) Next, from the same palette, use the Black and stipple it over the entire finger.  Let some of the yellow and green peak through the black to add to the affect.  Also stipple the black over the finger nail.
6.) Use a stipple sponge and dab it over the was to add a skin like texture to it.
7.) Use a cream foundation over the wax so that it matches your skintone.  I used the Makeup Forever Ultra HD Foundation Stick.
8.)Using a spatula, create some cracks.at the edge of the wax.
9) Next I used some Ben Nye Neutral Set of the finger to set the foundation.
10.)Using the Bruise and Blood Tones from the Skin Illustrator Palette randomly stipple them over the finger from the wax towards the palm.  These colors will add an irritated look to the finger.
11.) Lastly, add some thick blood to the cracks and lightly stipple it over the black as well as the edge of the wax. I used the Ben Nye Fresh Scab.

This is one of the first special effects I've tried and for my first try, I think it turned out ok. 

SHOPPING LIST:
Jordane Cosmetics Spirit Gum: at jordane.com for $9
Graftobian Modeling Wax: (light flesh tone) at graftobian.com for $4.79
Skin Illustrator FX Palette: at alconeco.com for $80
Alcone 99% Isoproply Alcohol: at alconeco.com for $7
Makeup Forever Ultra HD Foundation Stick: at sephora.com for $43
Ben Nye Neutral Set: at makeupmedly.com for $8
Ben Nye Fresh Scab: at makeupmedley.com for $7.50

No comments:

Post a Comment